• Facebook

Programs

Lead Poisoning

High levels of lead in the blood can cause brain damage and permanent developmental problems in children. The most common source of childhood lead poisoning is the dust from lead-based paint. While lead paint was banned in 1978, much of the housing stock in South Jersey had been built. The Cooperative encourages families to test for lead dangers and follow lead-safe practices for cleaning and renovations.

Must Take Tests

Test Your Child
A blood test is the only way to know if a child has lead poisoning. These tests are done in a doctor's office, ideally before a child turns one. Children under the age of six who have never been tested should get one immediately.

Test Your Home
If you live in a home built before 1978, it should be tested for lead dust. The Wipe Out Lead testing kit is free and easy to use. Call 1-888-722-2903 to order one. Scroll to the bottom of this page for instructional videos detailing how to use the kit.

Resources

Learn more about blood lead levels and easy ways to prevent lead poisoning by downloading the Know Your Number card.

View the Lead Poisoning: What Everyone Should Know power point to learn about lead dangers, sources, symptoms and tips to reduce its risk.

Help fight childhood lead poisoning; visit the Southern Regional Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Coalition page to become a member.

To learn more, email us at WOLNJ@snjpc.org

Wipe Out Lead Testing Kit Videos

Watch these instructional videos to learn how to test your home for lead paint dust using the Wipe Out Lead, do-it-yourself testing kit. Click on the arrows to increase video size. The first video is in English and the second video is in Spanish. Call 1-888-722-2903 to order your free kit.

English Version


Spanish Version